GENERAL SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
We are first and foremost a faith-based publisher. However, we do not limit our submissions to non-fiction theologically-centered works. We are looking for anything that is marketable to a wide audience, whether it is fiction or non-fiction. Our general guidelines are as follows. Please look at our genre-specific guidelines for additional information.
All submissions must be in Microsoft Word 2013 (.docx) format.
All submitted manuscripts should use a serif font (Times New Roman, Palatino Linotype, for instance). In addition, we prefer to have manuscripts that are single-spaced, have 6-pt space between paragraphs, and are first-line indented. While these are not stringent requirements, if a manuscript is deemed "difficult to read" by our reviewers due to line-speaking or font style and size, it will be summarily rejected. To that end, we highly suggest taking a few moments to adhere to these suggestions to get the best possible consideration for your work.
Content Guidelines (read VERY carefully)
We are not out to censor anyone, but we cater to a very specific audience and therefore we are going to be particular about what is and is not allowed in the manuscripts.
- VIOLENCE: We have no desire to publish manuscripts with gratuitous and graphic scenes of violence. Violence that is a necessary part of the story should be dealt with in a sensitive manner, preferably "off-screen" or implied. We do, however, realize that sometimes graphic violence appears in the Bible, and if you absolutely feel that it is necessary, please note that in your submission email. We can be flexible if it is an integral part of the plot.
- SEXUAL CONTENT: Graphic sexual scenes are strictly prohibited. Discussion of sex is acceptable, as long as it is not gratuitous. Discussion of sexual topics in non-fiction is perfectly acceptable, provided that it is educational and edifying to the reader, as well as being in line with Biblical Christian principles.
- OBSCENITY & PROFANITY: Profanity (taking the Lord's name in vain) is not allowed in any form whatsoever. Obscene language is strongly discouraged, however, direct quotations that include offensive language may be considered if it is critical to the content of the passage in which it is used. If you have any questions regarding what may be considered obscene or profane, please send an email to submissions [at] electiopublishing [dot] com.
- DRUG, ALCOHOL & ILLEGAL SUBSTANCE USE/ABUSE: Not necessarily discouraged in fiction, but it should be a pertinent part of the plot line or character development. In works of non-fiction, particularly memoirs, true and honest portrayals of drug use and substance abuse are perfectly fine, provided that they are necessary information for the reader.
- INCENDIARY LANGUAGE & CONTROVERSIAL TOPICS: In today's world, there is too much fiery discourse that ultimately accomplishes nothing. We are not interested in publishing works that add to that chorus of angry voices. We seek to promote civil discourse. If you choose to write a manuscript that deals with a sensitive or controversial topic, it is critical that it must be presented in a manner that is not intended to incite anger. Obviously, this cannot be avoided 100%, but we will be quite careful in approving these types of manuscripts.
If you quote scriptures in the manuscript, please make sure that it is clear which translation you are using, either by stating it in the submission email, or noting it in the manuscript. A good way to do so is in the citation, such as "(John 3:30, NIV)." Please make sure that you research the requirements for any translation that you use, as some require prior permission or specific statements in the front matter of the book.
We DO allow you to submit your manuscript elsewhere. However, if your manuscript is accepted at another publisher, please notify us immediately at submissions [at] electiopublishing [dot] com.
Originality and Rights
All work must be original, and not have appeared elsewhere.
Previously Published Works
Without exception, we do not re-publish works that have already been self-published or released by another publishing company (even those for which the rights have reverted back to the author).
FICTION SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
We are only interested in full-length works (30,000 words or more), and all full-length works will be made available in both eBook and paperback form.
For fiction, we will accept any genre, but we are specifically interested in manuscripts that fit into the following genres:
- General literary fiction
- Historical Fiction
Books that do not fall into one of these genres are welcome for submission, provided they are generally marketable to a wide audience.
Standard Non-Fiction Works
We accept only full-length works that are 30,000 words or more. We are interested in works that cover topics from humorous personal memoirs to highly researched academic works. Ultimately, we are especially interested in manuscripts that seek to advance discussion in pertinent topics for today's society, no matter how the book addresses such topics.
WE DO NOT ACCEPT POETRY MANUSCRIPTS FOR CONSIDERATION.
SUBMITTING YOUR MANUSCRIPT
Once your manuscript meets the guidelines set forth for eLectio Publishing, you may submit it one of two ways:
1. You can use the online submission form located HERE. This is our preferred method for manuscript submission.
2. You can email it directly to us as an attachment. If you decide to submit via email, please follow all directions below.
Please attach your manuscript to an email and send it to submissions [at] electiopublishing [dot] com. Please include the words "MANUSCRIPT SUBMISSION" in the subject line. In the body of the email, please include the following information:
- Author name (if you use a pseudonym, please provide that as well)
- Short author bio
- City and state
- Best phone number for contact
- Manuscript title
- Type of work (fiction/non-fiction) and genre if it applies
- Short (one or two sentences) description of the manuscript
Authors who submit via the portal will receive an automated response indicating receipt of their manuscript. If you have any trouble with the online submission form, please don't hesitate to use the alternative submission method described above. Unfortunately, due to the volume of manuscripts we receive, we often cannot provide a determination of acceptance in less than 180 days, although we will certainly attempt to notify authors sooner than that. At the very least, please do not inquire about your manuscript until at least 120 days have elapsed since the manuscript was submitted.